Canon has announced a new DSLR in its entry-level lineup with a number of exciting features. The new Canon EOS 650D/Rebel T4i is the first Canon EOS model ever to feature a dual AF system and to offer touchscreen capability. Featuring an 18MP hybrid CMOS sensor, a 9-point AF sensor, a 3:2 flip-out 1.04m dot screen are all familiar features from the 600D; but each of these features has been significantly up-scaled with fine and very interesting details that make the 650D so interesting, while giving us a look about Canon’s view of the future.
Moreover, the 650D is packed with an ultra fast Digic 5 14-bit processor - a feature commonly found in Canon’s more expensive models; this enables maximum continuous shooting rate of 5fps. The 650D allows you to make full HD 1080p video recordings while maintaining constant autofocus tracking allowing for sharper stills.
Sensitivity has also been pushed in the Canon 650D/Rebel T4i featuring a native range of ISO 100-12,800, which can be extended to ISO 25,600. Moreover, a new 3” vari-angle ClearView LCD II touch-screen supports simple multi-touch gestures such as pinching and swiping from image to image in playback just like your iPhone. Additionally, you can select AF points in Live View Mode for tracking faces and objects, and refine image settings using Quick Control.
Canon EOS 650D / Rebel T4i key features
- 18MP APS-C ‘Hybrid CMOS’ sensor
- Phase detection AF from imaging sensor for Live View and Video
- Continuous autofocus in movie mode with subject tracking
- 14-bit DIGIC 5 processor
- ISO 100-12800 standard, 25600 expanded
- 5 fps continuous shooting
- 9 point AF system, all sensors cross type, central sensor F2.8 (from 60D)
- 63 zone iFCL metering
- 1080p30 video recording, stereo sound with internal or external mics
- 1.04m dot 3:2 touch-sensitive vari-angle ClearView II LCD (capacitative type, multi-touch support)
The Canon EOS 650D will be available as of June 15, 2012 at a retail price of £800 GBP (approximately $1,240 USD) in the UK and €950 in Europe with a standard kit lens EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens.
source: Digital Photography Review